An unfortunate symptom of myeloma for many patients is bone disease. We all know that myeloma affects the bone, and it’s often through imaging that we are diagnosed. There are some important questions that need to be answered concerning bone health and multiple myeloma. What imaging and medications should patients be getting? Who needs them? What can myeloma patients do to protect their bones or even heal them? We asked top myeloma specialists these questions and many more in this series of HealthTree University videos on myeloma bone disease.
Below are some video excerpts from our HealthTree University curriculum to help you learn more about this important aspect of your disease. We invite you to watch them all, visit HealthTree University, and create a HealthTree account. By creating a HealthTree account, in HealthTree University you can:
- Save and keep track of your progress in the courses
- Get points for answering quiz questions
- Bookmark videos
- Take notes
- And even earn prizes! [COMING SOON]
13.16 - Should I restart bisphosphonate therapy if I have a relapse and restart treatment?
13.17 - Do bone fractures from myeloma ever heal?
13.18 - How can I protect my bone health?
13.19 - What supplements are recommended for bone health?
13.20 - What can be used to treat myeloma bone disease?
13.21 - What is kyphoplasty, what is vertebroplasty, when should these procedures be considered?
13.22 - Do certain types of myeloma affect your bones more than others?
We’d like to thank our faculty who donated their time in creating these videos, including:
- Jens Hillengass, MD of Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Suzanne Lentzsch, MD, Ph.D. of Columbia University
- Matthew Drake, MD, Ph.D. of Mayo Clinic, Rochester
- Sarah Holstein, MD, Ph.D. of University of Nebraska
We have over 200 HealthTree University videos online at university.healthtree.org! Learn the basics (and the not-so-basics) of myeloma from some of the top myeloma doctors in the world!
- Myeloma Basics Part 1
- Myeloma Basics Part 2
- Myeloma Basics Part 3
- Building Your Healthcare Team
- Becoming an Empowered Patient
- Starting Myeloma Treatment
- Know Your Labs: Blood and Urine Testing in Myeloma
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplant (ASCT)
- Precursor Conditions
- Relapsed and Refractory MM Treatment
- Classes of Drugs
- Know Your Therapy
- Myeloma Bone Disease
- Imaging in Myeloma
- MRD Testing
- Basic Genetics and Cancer Biology
- Myeloma Genetics
- Types of Genetic Testing in Myeloma
- Specific Myeloma Genetics Mutations and Risk
- Precision Medicine
- COVID-19 and Multiple Myeloma
about the author
Cynthia (Cindy) Chmielewski is a professional educator and myeloma advocate. As a former teacher, she now teaches myeloma patients how to advocate for themselves as the Director of HealthTree University. You can follow her on Twitter @myelomateacher