Photo courtesy of Running on Real Food (recipe has been slightly modified)
There's no more comforting food on a cold winter night than a steaming bowl of chili. This white bean recipe provides a deeply satisfying plant-based option with just a touch of heat. It's hearty enough for a dinner with a side salad, or bring it to work for a ready-to-go lunch.
White Bean Chili
Prep time: 10 min
Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 (15 oz.) white beans, drained
- 1 (7 oz.) can jalapeno slices, drained or 1 fresh jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese
- White chili seasoning (1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1 Tbsp. chili powder, 2 Tbsp cumin, 2 tsp garlic powder and 2 tsp maple syrup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Optional add ins (tortilla strips, fresh lime juice, sliced green onion and cilantro)
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a stock pot. Fry the onions and bell pepper until soft (about 5 minutes). Add the minced garlic and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, vegan cream cheese, white chili seasoning, jalapenos and potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans and corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy.
- Double the recipe and freeze the remainder into smaller portions for a quick lunch.