What factors affect newly diagnosed myeloma patients' physical health, mental health and quality of life? University of North Carolina researchers are running a study to learn more from both patients and caregivers.
A variety of factors can impact myeloma patients' wellness such as age, race, sex, education, household income, old-age-related conditions, depression, anxiety, or lack of social support. Which are most related to better, healthier and happier patients?
The Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center at Chapel Hill, part of the University of North Carolina, would like to invite both newly diagnosed myeloma patients and caregivers to join their study. The study includes:
- A baseline geriatric assessment every 3 months that includes your aseesment of your functional status (your ability to live independently), medical conditions, learning and perception, psychological status, social functioning and support, medications, and nutritional status
- A 30-45-minute cognitive test every 3 months
- Caregiver surveys to identify their well-being and ability to function at home
- The study will last 6 months
Patients should be 55 or older and have received a new myeloma diagnosis but are starting on treatment. Caregivers should be over 18 and be caring for a multiple myeloma patient also enrolled in the study. (for detailed inclusion criteria, click here).
If you are a patient at UNC or are near the area and would like to participate, please call or email the contacts below.
- Melahat Canter 734-274-0348 Melahat_Canter@med.unc.edu
- Jiona Mills 919-966-4432 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Login with Healthtree to know more detailed information or click here
HOW WE CAN HELP
If you need assistance finding or joining clinical trials, please contact our Patient Navigator support team at 1-800-709-1113 or at email@example.com
Did you know you can find more clinical trials in HealthTree Cure Hub?
Create a free account at healthtree.org, complete your profile and click on "Clinical Trials" in the left navigation to find trials that meet your search criteria.
about the author
Jimena is an International Medical Graduate who is part of the HealthTree Patient Experience team. She loves learning new things led by her curiosity, playing with her pets, and exercising in her free time.