Signs and Symptoms of Burkitt's Lymphoma
Burkitt lymphoma is a rapidly growing, high-grade tumor that often starts in the lymph nodes and can spread to other areas such as the bone marrow and central nervous system.
The Most Common Signs and Symptoms of Burkitt Lymphoma Include:
- Swollen lymph nodes: This is often the first sign of Burkitt lymphoma. The lymph nodes in the neck, armpit, or groin may become enlarged and may be painless.
- Abdominal swelling or pain: The disease can affect the organs in the abdomen, causing swelling or pain. This can also lead to loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting.
- Fever, night sweats, and weight loss: These are systemic symptoms that can occur with any type of lymphoma, including Burkitt lymphoma. They are often referred to as B symptoms.
- Fatigue: This can be a result of the disease itself or a side effect of the treatments.
- Easy bruising or bleeding: This can occur if the disease affects the bone marrow, leading to a decrease in the number of platelets, which are needed for blood clotting.
- Shortness of breath or cough: This can occur if the disease has spread to the chest or is pressing on the trachea.
Seek Care For Your Burkitt's Lymphoma
Seeking medical attention promptly if you are experiencing symptoms related to your Burkitt lymphoma is of utmost importance. Burkitt lymphoma is an aggressive cancer. Prompt initiation of treatment is essential to achieve the best possible outcomes. Delaying treatment can allow the cancer to progress, making it more challenging to achieve remission.
Medical attention can help manage and alleviate your symptoms and side effects and allow doctors to tailor a Burkitt lymphoma treatment plan that allows you to live as comfortably as possible. Doctors can adjust treatment as needed and provide supportive care to manage treatment-related side effects and complications. Coping with a cancer diagnosis is emotionally and psychologically challenging. You don't have to deal with side effects alone. In addition to discussing with your medical team, if you are experiencing Burkitt lymphoma symptoms and want to know what has worked for other blood cancer patients, visit HealthTree's Side Effect Solutions tool. Here you can search for the symptoms you are experiencing and read about what's worked (and what hasn't worked) for patients just like you.