Patients and their caregivers should meet with the financial counselor at the facility where they are being treated. Each hospital will have its own financial counselor within each specific clinic (like the leukemia clinic). The counselor will help determine coverage and estimate out of pocket costs. There may be restrictions on treatment options covered by Medicare and Medicaid. After you have met with the counselor, the resources below can help bridge financial gaps.
Blood cancer advocate and financial planner Diahanna Valentine helped compile this list of helpful financial resources. To contact Diahanna for professional assistance, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
MEDICATION ASSISTANCE TOOLS
- RxAssist - This is a comprehensive database of patient assistance programs. Enter your AML medication to see patient assistance programs and discount programs.
- Medication Assistance Tool - This is a search engine designed to help patients, caregivers and health care providers learn more about the resources available through the various biopharmaceutical industry programs.
ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
- Be The Match - transplant-related financial assistance that covers donor search, housing and travel costs in addition to emergencies post-transplant
- CancerCare - covers treatment related costs such as transportation, home care and child care for those in New York City or men in New Jersey or Connecticut
- Grants for Single Mothers - directory of grants for single mothers to help with rent, utility bills, child care, education, medication, housing and medical bills
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Patient Financial Assistant Programs - Patient Aid Program- one time $100 stipend, Urgent Need Program- $500 grant for non-medical expenses
- Bone Marrow & Cancer Foundation Lifeline Fund - covers cost associated with transplant
- Family Reach Foundation Financial Treatment Program - financial education, financial coaching, emergency relief
- American Kidney Fund - covers the cost of insurance premium payments and expenses not covered by insurance for those with kidney disease
- Cancer Warrior - medical bill assistance
- Fifth Season Financial Funds for Living - access to part of your life insurance benefit
HOUSING DURING TREATMENT
Both air and ground transportation:
OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES
Thanks to our HealthTree Community for AML Sponsors: