Your Feed

Filter by
See content from
Back to the latest
Avatar
plumEagle
Multiple Myeloma Discussion • August 29, 2025
Finding a UT Medicare Plan for Huntsman Care?
AI-generated title
I'm a Multiple Myeloma patient living in Utah, currently on Cobra. I will move to Medicare December 2025 and do NOT qualify for MediGap policy because not yet 65. I'm looking for Medicare Advantage plans that cover the Huntsman Cancer Institute and either the UofU Doctors or (Intermountain Healthcare Doctors that I currently see since, at present I am on SelectHealth). After placing a call to Select Health Medicare dept, was informed they do NOT cover the Huntsman Cancer Hospital and it's doctors on their Medicare Advantage plans. Wondering if anyone else has experience with this? I've been getting conflicting information regarding SelectHealth Medicare Advantage Coverage. Would like suggestions on Medicare Advantage plans in UT that might be a good fit for the 1 month (December 2025) that would cover my Revlimid and possibly my Doctors and Huntsman. And suggestions moving forward into 2026. Maybe one of the members has some experience with this or can recommend a resource that might be helpful.
Avatar
Bhow106
Multiple Myeloma Discussion • August 28, 2025
Navigating Watch & Wait With High-Risk SMM
AI-generated title
Hi everyone. I have just found this group and responded to Jenny's question about treatment vs watch and wait but thought I would share what I wrote of my experience so far in case it was helpful for others. I was diagnosed with MGUS by accident in 2021 and after a bone marrow biopsy last January was diagnosed high risk SMM by my local oncologist who I had been seeing since MGUS diagnosis. I then saw two myeloma specialists and they had very different opinions. One (Northwestern Memorial) felt I was already in overt MM due to the trajectory over the four years of my IgA and I should start the four drug induction toward a SCT. The other (Mayo) felt my four years of data and lack of any CRAB symptoms showed smoldering and recommended increasing monitoring and waiting on treatment. My local oncologist agreed with the Mayo doctor and I did as well based on my own research but it was a hard decision. The Northwestern doctor had advised if I monitored for a bit to get monthly blood draws and my specialist recommended blood draw every three months and whole body low dose CT every six months in order to intervene with treatment before developing any CRAB symptoms. Due to concerns from the Northwestern doc's opinion I opted to do the blood draws every six weeks and the CT every six months. So far my blood test results have been fairly stable and I just had the CT on Monday and there were no signs of lesions. I feel great and am doing everything I can to stay as healthy as possible - nutrition, sleep, exercise, stress level. Of course it is stressful to "watch and wait" but I did not want to start a treatment I might not need for "years" until it was necessary even though this of course goes against advice for most other cancers which you want to treat as early as possible so it is a bit of a mind messer. I understood that once I started treatment I would not feel as I do now and would probably have to stay on some meds the rest of my life barring advancements in treatment such as some results with Car-t cell therapy. My specialist said they typically see a slow drop in the hemoglobin towards anemia as the first sign of progression so that is one of the areas I look at when my results come in. So that's where I am at currently. Barb
Avatar
Meljoy1221
Multiple Myeloma Discussion • August 28, 2025
Safety of Mushroom Supplements on Maintenance?
AI-generated title
Hi I my name is Melanie and I am 50yrs young. I was diagnosed in June/2022. I have been in remission since Jan/2023 after my stem cell transplant. I take a chemo shot every two weeks and am on lenalidomide from Monday to Friday taking weekends off for 3 weeks and off for 7 days. My question is does anyone know if it’s safe to take a 5 mushroom capsule it has ( reishi, turkey tail, lions mane, cordyceps, change)?
Avatar
TAWisner
Multiple Myeloma Discussion • August 27, 2025
Managing Numbness From Velcade: Any Tips?
AI-generated title
I am 2 years post SCT for Multiple Myeloma and fortunately still in remission. I am still on a regimen of Dara / Revlimid, but before my SCT I was also taking Velcade / Dex. My feet have been numb since I started treatment, but seem to be getting worse. I have been told by my doctors that Velcade is the culprit and after 2 years it may be permanent. I have tried several supplements and even acupuncture, but nothing has helped. Has anyone found a treatment that has helped reverse the numbness in their feet?
Avatar
Debbie
Multiple Myeloma Discussion • August 27, 2025
Chemo Options With Less Neuropathy?
AI-generated title
Hello Everyone Are there any chemo drugs that do not cause neropathy or are less likely to cause? I wss in remission and Dr switched me to Darzalex for maintenance. It cause terrible neuropathy in my hands. feet and legs up to my knees. Right now I am not on any treatments. Just monitoring bloodwork for now. Just want to resesrch in advance. Thank you for any recommendations. Have s blessed day!
Avatar
Bev22
Multiple Myeloma Discussion • August 27, 2025
ASCT With Neuropathy: Mobility Concerns?
AI-generated title
Has anyone gone into the ASCT with leg weakness due to severe neuropathy? Did your mobility worsen? My husband is 57 and is using a walker/cane due to nerve damage (temporary, we hope) from Velcade during chemo. His doctors advise him to go ahead with the transplant, but we are worried his mobility will get worse. Any experience with this?