Staging System for DLBCL
Part of the diagnosis process for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma includes a staging diagnosis to determine the progression of the cancer and the treatment needed.
The stages for DLBCL are:
- Stage 1 Disease found in 1 lymph node or a group of nearby lymph nodes
- Stage 2 - Disease found in 2 or more lymph node groups on the same side of the diaphragm
- Stage 2 bulky - Bulky disease means there are areas of lymphoma that measure 7.5 centimeters (cm) or larger
- Stage 3 Disease found in lymph nodes above and below the diaphragm on the same side of the body or disease found in nodes above the diaphragm and in the spleen
- Stage 4 Disease has spread outside of the lymphatic system to other parts of the body
The disease found in the lymph nodes or other organs are done using a variety of tests such as checking for body swelling of lymph system organs, blood tests, imaging, bone marrow tests, and others (see here for tests for DLBCL patients).
Be active in your DLBCL care. There are effective treatment options that help reduce and manage the disease for many patients. Need help finding a DLBCL specialist? See HealthTree's DLBCL specialist directory here.