Medicines for CLL like venetoclax (Venclexta) may have a side effect for some patients of excess fluid buildup in the body. To help reduce this, one of the side effect solutions is a prescribed diuretic. Patients are also welcome to include more foods with diuretic properties in their meals like bell peppers, broccoli, garlic, and ginger. Feel free to try the below stir-fry recipe that includes a few of these foods.
Chicken and Veggie Stir-fry
Total time 18 minutes (prep 8 min, cook 10 min)
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup baby carrots sliced
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/4 cup no salt added chicken broth
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
*Lowering your sodium intake can also help reduce fluid retention. To make this a low-sodium recipe, consider adding minimal salt to the dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Add remaining ingredients (chicken broth, coconut aminos, honey, toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes) and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
- Add broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, just until crisp tender. Add ginger and garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add chicken back into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Whisk stir fry sauce and pour over chicken and vegetables and stir gently to combine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and let boil for one minute.
- Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving
(4 servings total)
Calories: 343 | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 13g |
Source: Trish - Chicken Stir Fry Recipe